Once upon a time, you planned your wedding. Ending a marriage also takes planning. Before filing the papers or asking your spouse for a divorce, proactive steps may protect you, your children and your finances, and hopefully spare everyone from a draining legal battle.
I am experienced Los Angeles divorce lawyer Debra Opri. I will put you in the best legal position, and help you mentally prepare for the turbulent times ahead.
Getting Your Ducks In A Row Before Divorce
With over 28 years of experience in California family law, I will help you take stock and create an action plan regarding:
- Breaking the news to your spouse and your children
- The marital home and living arrangements
- Parenting arrangements (custody and visitation)
- Legal fees and living expenses
- Bank accounts and liquid assets
- Interim child support and spousal support
- Relocating away from Los Angeles
Hoping For The Best But Preparing For Court
How will your spouse react? If you are worried about domestic violence or stalking, you may need a restraining order. Will your spouse take the children or retaliate in other ways? Can you reach a settlement or do you expect a courtroom battle? Predivorce planning will pay off.